With the coming of winter now’s the time to think of these light but warm quilts, either alpaca, silk or bamboo.
Alpaca fleece is very soft to the hand due to its unique fibre surface. Under a microscope, alpaca fleece has a very smooth surface with very low cuticle-scales which are one quarter of those of wool. This means that alpaca fleece feels "slippery" and beautifully soft when compared to a similar micron (thickness) wool fibre. The luxurious softness is one of the fleece's outstanding features. With experienced preparation and processing, pure alpaca quilts are dramatically softer than any other natural fibre.
Softness is important as it feels good over your body but also it is important for its warmth. Ideally your quilt should "snuggle" or wrap around your body to trap air that is naturally heated to keep you warm. A stiff quilt filling or quilt casing can create larger air pockets around your body which take time and energy to heat to keep warm.
- Cocoons your body, soft, tactile & drapery
- Naturally hypoallergenic - dust mite don't like to live in silk so beneficial to allergy sufferers
- Very light weight - excellent for arthritis sufferers and those who don't like heavy bedding.
- Naturally thermostatic - Warm in winter, cool in summer
- Thin, neat profile on the bed - easy to make
- No chemicals used in the production of the silk
- Easy care - just hang on the line to air occasionally
- Ecologically friendly - One of the "Greenest" plants on the planet
- Anti-bacterial & anti-microbial - used in surgical dressings
- Naturally deodorizing - Used in socks & underwear
- Dust mite & mould resistant - Great for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Three times more absorbent than cotton - Used in towels
- Made using world patented technology - our product is authenticated 100% bamboo
- OekoTex accredited - contains no harmful chemicals
- Bamboo requires no fertilisers, pesticides, irrigation or fungicides to grow.
- Produces 35% more oxygen than an equivalent stand of trees